Saturday, June 28, 2014

Lemon Chicken Spinach and Carrot Soup




Lemon Chicken soup from our local Greek restaurant has always been a favorite of mine.  But the last two times I had it (before starting the anti inflammatory elimination diet) I became very sick within minutes of finishing it.  Possibly the eggs or thickening agents but my tummy really didn't like it.  So when I thought about making lemon chicken soup that is safe on my anti inflammatory elimination diet, I decided to only use ingredients that I knew my tummy was ok with.  I am keeping it simple these days and trying hard to have flavorful meals.
 
I started with my usual trilogy of Vidalia onions, carrots and celery, along with some homemade chicken bone broth, chicken breasts, spinach and fresh squeezed lemon juice.  I like hiding vegetables and thickening my broth with vegetables that I put in the food processor with just a little broth.  I need all the help I can get eating more vegetables.  I wanted to keep this broth on the thin side, so I only used one onion.  You can also add some cooked chicken with the onion in the food processor for a little more texture to the broth. 
 
I made this in the crockpot.
 
EDITED:  When using already cooked chicken breast, I don't cook this in the crockpot.  I saute the onions and celery in a little olive oil about 7 minutes.  Using immersion blender, blend until creamy.  Add all of the ingredients to a medium size stock pot, bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer about an hour to 1 1/2 hours, or until the carrots are tender.  Add chopped spinach and cook an additional 10 minutes.
 
LEMON CHICKEN SPINACH CARROT SOUP             3 SERVINGS
 
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut in half ( Greenwise from Publix)
4 cups homemade chicken bone broth (make and keep in the freezer in Mason jars)
1 Vidalia onion, rough chop
1 rib (piece) organic celery, rough chop
6 organic carrots, sliced
2 cups organic baby spinach, finely chopped
1/4 lemon juice, fresh squeezed
  • Put the onion(s) and celery in food processor with 1/4 cup broth, pulse several times until you can only see tiny pieces of veges or until smooth.  Place in crockpot.
  • Add chicken breasts, the remaining broth and lemon juice.
  • Cook on HIGH 3 hours
  • Add spinach and carrots and cook on HIGH 1 hour.
  • Before serving, cut chicken into large chunks

No comments:

Post a Comment